One of the really cool things about language is you can create new words, that have meaning. Today I was on a call about the Internet of Things, and we were discussing connectivity. That layer of the stack that allows you to send data from a device to the cloud or a data store. As businesses area always trying to “move up the stack” they talk about going from being a pipe to ultimately providing high value business analytics. Well to me, the word “Collectivity” is the desire to go from connectivity to collecting the data required for the high value analytics.
What do you think?
I had the idea to do my yearly write up of all the things I saw watching the WWDC keynote.. instead this year, I thought it would be cool to just post my raw notes.. see how I am thinking while watching the keynote.. Let me know what you think:
WWDC 2017 – Keynote Notes
Cool shot of the mixer showing all the speakers to come
Why do all camera guys look the same, black pants, t-shirt, frumpy hair?
Silent mode announcement at 1:03pm
Crowds are all waving at what appears to be drone video flying around the inside of the auditorium.
Ok 1:05pm starting to play music with lyrics must be the key for everyone to sit down
Start time 1:08PM
Funny video on unplugging the App Store…
16M registered developers, 5300 in the room
Platforms tvOS, WatchOS, macOS, iOS
No updates – too much to talk about, other than apple is doing great
6 announcements –
- tvOS – 50 partners, Amazon is coming to Apple TV
- watchOS – Kevin Lynch –
- Watch faces –
- Siri powered watch face, what you need by dynamic time of day. (Including 3rd party apps)
- Kalido scope face
- Toy story faces
- More personalized smarter coaching and monthly challenges
- Workout app – new UI, Pool swim will auto sense the sets that you are doing, and pace and stroke type. High intensity interval training too. Multiple workouts in a row to add multiple things, like swim, bike, etc. In door at the gym enabling two way data exchange with GYM equipment using NFC connection.
Redesigning music app – auto sync to the watch – new music and mixes, so that you can listen.
- Vertical scroll thru the dock
- New news app on Apple Watch.
- Play list auto starts with workout, swipe left to control music.
- Flashlight and safety light in control center
- Apps running the background increased… and native core bluetooth on the watch. (Dexcom sensor for real time glucose monitoring, swim monitors, etc.). Upgrade across ALL watches in the fall.
- macOS – the heart and sole of Apple. High Sierra
- 1. Safari update – faster
- 1. Autoplay blocking!!!! YEAH!!
- 2. Faster Java
- Privacy – Intelligent tracking prevention… identify trackers, segregate cross site scripting ads
- Mail –
- Search improvements using spotlight to do top hits
- Split view in full screen to do mail compose
- 35% less disk space usage
- All imports in chronological order
- Face improvements and synced across your devices
- Editing enhancements: curves, selective color, punch out to other tool sync back to your photo library like Pixelmater or photoshop
- Printed books added to third parities are now opened up
- File system updates: (HFS is 30 years old)
- APFS is coming to macOS as new default.
- Video: h264 current standard
- 1. New standards h265 40% better compression
- Metal 2. Another 10x improvements
- Using metal 2 for machine learning
- Metal for external graphics – so you can add an external graphics card from your Mac
- Pro content creation
- Metal for VR to high-sierra
- Final cut will allow you to edit spherical video
- Multiple VR platforms to Mac
- all systems that are 2010 and newer
- Hardware MAC
- New iMacs
- Upto 64 GB storage
- Fusion on all 27inch
- 2TB SSD on 27 inch
- 2 USB-C adapter
- Graphics –
- Adding discrete graphics on all 4k graphics
- Using Raedon with 3X performance
- ILM demo of new iMac. Showed Unreal editor in VR, WOW…
- 90 frames per second rendering on an iMac
- Starting at $1799 for 5k 27inch
- New MacBook Pro updates
- Going to Kabyt Lake
- Faster SSDs to Mabbooks
- Better graphics to MacBook Pro base
- End of the year target at the new upgradable MacPro (built kinda like. iMac)
- Thicker… called the iMac Pro
- CPU – 8 Core – Xeon processor
- CPU – and a 10 core Xeon processor
- Up to 18 core Xeon Processor
- Radeon Vega Graphics architecture – up to 16 GB VRAM ( 11 Teraflops single precision)
- 128GB ECC Memory
- 4TB of 3GB/secon SSD
- 4 TB3, 10GB ethernet
- Drives up to 44 Million Pixels
- Starts at $4999 (kinda pricey) available in Dec.
- 5. iOS – 86% of devices are on iOS 10, vs. Android 7 – 7% adoption
- Messages –
- Redesigned app drawer
- Messages in iCloud – all conversations will be synchronized
- Person to person payments – send and receive money
- Also available on Apple Watch
- Siri –
- 21 languages – available more than any assistant
- Improved the voice using deep learning
- Added translation (very cool)
- English, Chinese, French German and Italian
- Improvements to Siri Kit
- Task management
- Better predictive technologies
- Using on device learning, and some auto responses
- Learning gets synced across all your devices, readable only by you and your devices.
- Camera improvements using HVEC – less storage, better compression and replacing JPEG with HEIF (new compression)
- Low light photographs and stabilization, exposing depth api to developers.
- Photos Apps
- Better Machine learning to improve the process for Memories
- Control center redesign
- Added 3D Touch for more features
- All fits on one screen now
- Unification of the notifications
- Long exposure option in photos… very cool
- Apple Pay accessible in messages
- Detailed floor plans of Malls, place cards, directories, and by floor adding 100s each month
- Same for Airports
- Speed limit and lane guidance
- Bring Car Play capabilities too – called do not disturb while driving.
- Airplay 2 protocol.. multi-room audio in iOS
- Apple TV and third party api for audio
- Apple Music
- Added your friend’s music
- With profiles, etc.
- Developer API for music now
- App Store Updates
- 500 million weekly visitors to App Store. 180 Billion apps downloaded to date.
- Phased releases you can decided how to rollout over time
- Brand new design to App Store
- New Today view
- New Games View
- New in app purchases can be featured
- Live demo
- Metal 2 and HVEC coming to iOS
- Machine learning –
- New APIs –
- Vision API – face tracking / landmarks
- NLP – Tokenization and named entity recognition
- Augmented Reality –
- AR Kit — demo.. Very very cool
- Fast and stable motion tracking / plane identification / ambient light rendering and scale identification
- Wingnut AR – demo of new app. Using unreal engine 4.
- QR support from lock screen
- iPad – time to talk about iPad Pro
- Currently two models 12.9 and 9.7, New iPad Pro – 10.5 inch display
- Japanese JIS keyboard
- 120 hz refresh . Dynamically adjust reset rate based on content, allows improved battery life
- 20ms latency for Apple Pencil
- A10X – 6-core CPU and 12-Core GPU, 40% faster graphics performance
- Finally iOS for iPad updates!!
- More items in the dock
- Multitasking and drag an app from the doc
- App switcher with DRAG AND DROP!!
- Keyboard flicking to get to 2ndary things
- New App – FILES….
- Get access to the file system on iPad
- Including third party storage options
And then life took over and I missed the rest of the keynote.